Pleananna Pobail don Bhainistíocht Bithéagsúlachta
In addition to the overall County Biodiversity Strategy, we are currently preparing Habitat Maps and Biodiversity Action Plans for Mayo’s towns and villages in partnership with local communities, with funding support from the Heritage Council. These plans will be implemented by local communities in the coming years.
A key aspect of these plans is to map the location and extent of the various habitat types (e.g. lakes, rivers, woodlands, grasslands etc) within the towns and villages. As more and more areas are mapped, we are building up a picture of the habitats throughout the whole county.
Habitat Mapping and Biodiversity Action Plans, including habitat maps, are available or currently being prepared for the following towns and villages:
- Westport Biodiversity Plan
- Ballinrobe Biodiversity Plan
- Mulranny Biodiversity Plan
- Claremorris Biodiversity Plan
- Crossmolina Biodiversity Plan
- Cong Biodiversity Plan
- Foxford Biodiversity Plan
- Newport Biodiversity Plan
- Louisburgh Biodiversity Plan
- Balla Biodiversity Plan
Biodiversity Plans have also been developed for specific sites or areas within towns and villages including
- Ballindine Wildlife Garden [Link to Plan]
- Murrisk Millennium Park Biodiversity Plan [Link to Plan]
- Kilmaine Pollinator Plan [Link to Plan]
If you are interested in discussing the preparation of a Biodiversity Plan for your town or village, please contact the Heritage Office.
Community Nature and Wildlife Plans
In 2013, biodiversity training was delivered to 7 communities in Mayo. 3 workshops were held with each community, following which a Nature and Wildlife Plan was developed. The plans aim to raise awareness of, protect and enhance the rich natural heritage in these areas.