Find out more
From indigenous success stories to major multinationals, many well-known businesses have chosen to locate in Mayo for its:
- young, well-educated and competitive labour market
- efficient transport links to Europe, the US and beyond
- innovative enterprise supports
- Exceptional quality of life.
Mayo is one of Ireland’s most beautiful counties, regularly topping polls not just as a place to visit, but increasingly, as a place to live.
We have a population of just over 130,000 people and 40% of those are under 25 years of age. The broader West Region has a population of almost 550,000 residents, ensuring a strong talent supply.
With its strong digital and physical infrastructures, competitive young workforce and long tradition of entrepreneurship and innovation, Mayo is one of the best places in Ireland to locate a business.
The west region is the least crowded in Ireland, accounting for just 11.6% of the state’s population and 21% of its landmass. This results in;
- Significantly lower congestion
- Lower house prices
- Easier access to quality schools
- More open space to enjoy and discover
- A healthy supply of key sites in strategic locations
Here in the Enterprise & Investment Unit we offer a broad suite of inward investment supports such as assistance with site selection, to tailored practical engagement and advice on available supports.
Atlantic Technological University has a campus based in Castlebar which has it’s own Innovation in Business Centre which offers support to start-ups and those looking for help.
Mayo as an alternative
As the third largest county in Ireland, located along the beautiful Western seaboard, Mayo is a great alternative when looking to invest.
Mayo offers a viable alternative business location to the congested towns and cities in other parts of Ireland. High quality infrastructure and resources, a skilled and motivated workforce, lower business costs and an unparalleled quality of life makes Mayo an exceptional place to do business as evidenced by the long standing successes of organisations such as Allergan, Coca-Cola and Portwest.
- There are over 48,000 households in our county, this rises to almost 65,000 dwellings when second units and holiday homes are included (CSO 2016).
- Mayo is asset rich and diverse in nature benefiting from a wealth of natural resources, direct air, sea and rail freight access and a quality communications infrastructure.
- Mayo has an educated and skilled workforce owing to its diverse industrial base.
- We are a progressive County with a “can do” attitude.
Our objective is to develop an enterprise-friendly environment in County Mayo that allows for job creation by:
- Facilitating access to enterprise services and supports for enterprise, both inward investment and local businesses
- Identifying and advocating for essential infrastructure
- Promoting the ‘MAYO’ message globally by connecting with Mayo’s 3.5 million diaspora worldwide
A vibrant and dynamic team, we are passionate about our county and delivering this vision, making Mayo a sustainable, inclusive, prosperous and proud place to live, work and do business in for this and future generations.