Béal an Átha
Ballina town lies at the mouth of the River Moy, near Killala Bay, with the Ox Mountains to the east and the Nephin Beg mountains to the west. The Moy is one of the most prolific salmon rivers in Europe, thereby earning Ballina the title ‘Salmon Capital of Ireland’.
Top 10 Things to Do in Ballina
- Visit the incredible Jackie Clarke Collection – the single most important private collection of Irish history material in public hands, with 100,000 items dating back 400 years
- Learn about birds of prey & enjoy Hawk Walks – a truly unique experience in the woods where you can fi nd out about the secrets of these amazing birds, their hunting habits and their place within the ecosystem.
- Ballina Arts Centre is dramatically situated on the weir of the River Moy and it is a wonderful location in which to enjoy exhibitions, theatre shows, concerts and films!
- Discover the colourful history of Belleek Castle – there is a myriad of fascinating stories, especially in relation to the Marshall Doran Collection in the museum – the last owner of the castle.
- Be sure to chat to one of the local ghillies before you cast your line into the River Moy, which offers excellent choices and a wide variety of quality angling. A haven for fishing!
- The Connacht Distillery provides an intimate experience of their craft whiskey - from grain to glass, and you can also learn about their other unique drinks, including gin and poitín!
- Enjoy the tranquility and peace of the meandering trails & pathways along the river and through the woodlands at Belleek – by foot or by bike – and don’t forget to check out the mysterious derelict concrete ship, the SS Crete Boom!
- One of the most scenic parkland courses in the west of Ireland is Ballina Golf Club. The challenging 18 hole course has lush fairways and manicured greens, with the beautiful & majestic Ox Mountains in the background.
- Food Fantastic: from traditional cuisines to ethnic restaurants, from cosy cafés to buzzing bistros, from fish’n’chips to fi ne dining, Ballina has it all!
- Ballina is ideal for the energetic & daring visitor – with SUP (Stand Up Padding), archery, cycling, hiking and kayaking, there is an outdoor adventure for all ages & abilities!