Sofa 2 Saddle
This is a "sofa to saddle" cycling programme that caters for all cyclists, from the person who has just rediscovered their bike, to the more accomplished rider who wants to take on greater challenges.
The skills and knowledge gained in this programme will make the world of cycling more accessible to everyone, with the main focus being on learning skills, enjoying the bike and meeting new like-minded people.
What will you learn?
- Preparing for a Bike Ride: What to wear, what to bring.
- Riding Safely on the Road: Basic road skills,advanced road skills, riding in the dark.
- Riding as a Group: Riding in pairs, riding as a group, group riding etiquette.
- Using Shared Facilities: Riding in low volume traffic, riding in higher volume traffic.
- Bike Handling Skills
- Nutrition & Hydration: Basic requirements, requirements for a cyclist.
- Bike Repair & Maintenance: Basic bike maintenance
- Training for your Riding Goals: Getting Started, going further and cycling challenges.
Locations in Mayo include Castlebar, Westport and Ballinrobe.
National Bike Week takes place in June every year.
Mayo Sports Partnership in conjunction with the local Bike Week Steering Committee – Mayo County Council, Green Schools, An Taisce Community Policing invite all communities to “Get on Your Bike” and participate in several events organised throughout the county from Saturday June 6th to June 14th!
Previous Mayo Bike Weeks have been very successful and fun-filled, with local events varying from bike workshops, bike rodeo, cycling training, bike maintenance and a variety of short family cycle events.
Mayo Bike Week steering committee organised five lunchtime school’s cycles throughout Mayo which are always a brilliant success and help raise awareness around bike safety for children and families in Mayo and nationwide.