Nuachtáin agus Irisí
We hold a wide range of newspapers and journals relating to Mayo from the earliest newspaper in 1830 to the parish annuals which are popular annual sellers to this very day.
Most of our newspapers are held on microfilm in our Local Studies Dept. in Castlebar though some can be searched digitally in selected library branches.
We try to collect all journals and magazines published locally. The major historical titles are:
Castlebar Parish Magazine (annually, from 1971).
An Index for the Castlebar Parish Magazine (1971- current), compiled by Mayo Library staff member Alan King, may now be viewed by selecting:
- Castlebar Parish Magazine, 1971-2011 (requires Acrobat Reader - opens new window)
- Castlebar Parish Magazine 2012 (requires Acrobat Reader - opens new window)
- Castlebar Parish Magazine 2013 (requires Acrobat Reader - opens new window)
- Castlebar Parish Magazine 2014 (requires Acrobat Reader - opens new window)
- Castlebar Parish Magazine 2015 (requires Acrobat Reader - opens new window)
- Castlebar Parish Magazine 2016 (requires Acrobat Reader - opens new window)
- Castlebar Parish Magazine 2017 (requires Acrobat Reader - opens new window)
- Castlebar Parish Magazine 2018 (requires Acrobat Reader - opens new window)
- Castlebar Parish Magazine 2019 (requires Acrobat Reader - opens new window)
Cathair na Mart; Journal of the Westport Historical Society. (annually, from 1981)
North Mayo Historical and Archaeological Society Journal (annually, 1982-1995)
With kind permission of compiler Noel O'Neill you can check the searchable indexes of:
- Cathair na Mart, 1981-2012 and
- North Mayo Historical Journal (requires Acrobat Reader - opens new window)
- Mayo Association Yearbook (annually, from 1984)
- Journal of the South Mayo Family Research Centre (annually, from 1989)
- Muintir Acla: Achill Island Journal (quarlerly, from 1995)
- Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland (also in digital format)
- Journal of the Galway Archaeological and Historical Society
Welcome to Mayo County Library's collection of historical newspaper illustrations. These illustrations date mainly from the mid to late 19th century and the majority are from two publications: "The Illustrated London News" and "The Graphic".
They provide a contemporary pictorial view of some of the most significant episodes in Irish history: the famine of the 1840s and 1880s; the Land War including the campaign of the Land League and the Boycott affair. Famous Irish historical figures depicted include Davitt, Parnell and Boycott.
Mayo County Library wishes to acknowledge the generosity of Maggie Land Blanck, Brooklyn, New York, who donated a number of the illustrations in this collection.
There are over a hundred illustrations available to view on the website. Please use the page selection bar above the images to navigate through the site.
Issues of Local Newspapers held by the Library Service.
Start of Collection
End of Collection
Ballina Herald *
Ballinrobe Chronicle *
Connaught Telegraph (Connaught Ranger)
Western Journal *
Western People *
* Digitised versions of these newspapers can now be viewed on computers in Castlebar, Ballina, Westport, Claremorris and Swinford libraries. In addition to browsing the newspapers you can now search the text.
Currently the following newspapers have been digitised :
- Western People, 1889 -2009
- Ballina Herald, 1927-1962
- Ballinrobe Chronicle, 1866-1903
- Western Journal, 1977-1983
- Connaught Telegraph, 1830-2009
- Mayo News, 1893-2009
- Mayo Examiner, 1868-1876
Issues of National Newspapers held by the Library Service.
Start of Collection
End of Collection