Coaching Children Workshops
‘Mol an óige agus tiocfaidh sí.’ - Praise young people and they will flourish
All too often programmes offered to children in sport were scaled down versions of adult activity. Coaching was conducted in the main without sufficient regard to the principles of child development. Children's needs in sport are different to the needs of adults; therefore the coaches of children should be equipped with specific knowledge, skills and competencies to fulfil the needs of children.
Children want different things from their sport participation and require different approaches given their stage of development both physically and mentally. Statistics prove that very few children will become elite athletes, but it we get it right at an early stage, a higher proportion of them will be equipped with both movement skills and love of activity, to remain active into their adult years and lead a healthy lifestyle. The stakes are high!
Coaching Ireland have developed four modules, specifically to provide candidates with a basic understanding of children's sport and physical activity and best ways to optimise children's enjoyment, participation and positive outcomes. The concepts of physical literacy and holistic development run throughout the series of workshops and will be covered in detail.
- Workshop 1: Coaching Children Successfully in Sport - An Introduction for Coaches
- Workshop 2: Child-Centred Coaching - Understanding Child Development & Learning and its Impact on How We Coach
- Workshop 3: Developing Physical Literacy through Sport 1 - Coaching Children to Move
- Workshop 4: Developing Physical Literacy through Sport 2 - Coaching Children To Think
*Attendance at all four workshops is compulsory for certification
Courses are held from time to time so please click here Courses & Events Calendar
- Coaching Children Factsheet Booklet 1
- Coaching Children Factsheet Booklet 2
- Coaching Children Factsheet Booklet 3
- Coaching Children Factsheet Booklet 4
- €60 for all 4 workshops
- Coaching Children workshops are now available for private delivery.
- Venue to be provided by the club.
- Minimum numbers are 16.
- €60 for all 4 workshops.
- Certificates of attendance are issued at the end of the course.
- Contact Padraic Durcan Mayo Sports Partnership on 094 9064360 or email email@example.com
To book your place on one of our courses please go to Courses & Events Calendar