Public Notice in respect of HAP tenancies
In light of the COVID-19 situation and recent announcements made by our government in relation to measures being taken to combat the spread of Covid-19.
In the interests of reducing direct contact, HAP tenants should check with their local authority before presenting in person at any local authority offices, as it might be possible to carry out your business over the phone or electronically.
Please heed the following advice regarding HAP tenancies:
- If a HAP tenant does not experience any change in financial circumstances as a result of the steps being taken to combat the spread of COVID-19, there should be no change to the operation of the scheme – HAP payments will continue to be made to the landlord and the tenant’s differential rent will continue to be collected.
- If a HAP tenant does experience a change in financial circumstances on foot of COVID-19, those tenants should contact the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection and apply for the relevant supports https://www.gov.ie/en/campaigns/4cf0e2-covid-19-coronavirus-information-foremployers-and-employees-test/
- Please send in proof of a change in financial circumstances via email, we ask that documentation received from DEASP to be scanned / photographed and emailed to your local authority, so as to limit footfall in and out of Local Authority offices.
- The possibility of local authority staffing levels being reduced may lead to delays in rent amounts being amended, but this won’t affect the HAP payment to landlords.
- Differential rent arrears that accumulate following the submission of DEASP documentation during the COVID-19 measures will be re-assessed and rectified, as appropriate, by local authorities in due course– this won’t affect HAP payments to landlords.
The Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government recognises the additional pressures facing both landlords and tenants in relation to the Covid-19 crisis and is working with local authorities and the HAP Shared Services Centre to ensure the continuation of HAP tenancies during this period.