Missing and Stray Dogs
Stray dogs are dogs that are in a public place and are not accompanied by the owner or a responsible person. Dogs that are not under proper control are also considered stray dogs. Stray dogs should be reported to the Dog Warden. You can receive an on-the-spot fine if your dog is not under proper control.
Stray dogs may be seized by the dog warden and the Gardai. These dogs may be rehomed if their owners do not claim them within 5 days from the Dog Pound.
If I find a stray dog what do I do?
- Return the dog to its owner if you can get the owners details easily from the dog’s collar
- If you are unable to find the owner you can contact the Dog Warden
- Keep the dog yourself. In this case you must give written notice giving the description of the dog, the address of the place where it was found, the address of the place where it is kept to the Gardai or Dog Warden
- If the dog owner does not claim the dog within a year you may become the owner of the dog.
- It is unlawful to hand a stray dog over to any person or agency except the dog’s owner, Dog Warden or the Gardai
If you find a stray dog you can report it to us.
Missing your dog?
If you want to report a missing dog please contact us with your Dog's details
- Breed, if known
- Size, Colour, Age, Any distinguishing marks
- Details of tag and collar
- Microchip number
- Date and location of where dog was last seen
- Contact details
- Recent photograph not greater than 2 MB in file size if possible
An unwanted dog may be surrendered to the Dog Pound or contact the Dog Warden The owner must produce a valid licence and a surrender fee of €70 will be charged. Dogs are rehomed if they are suitable for rehoming.
Dogs Found Straying
If your lost dog is listed on the table below, please contact the Dog Pound. The opening hours are 11.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m. Monday to Friday. Visits to the dog pound are strictly by appointment only.
|Description||Sex||Location Found||Date In To Dog Pound|
Phone: Dog Pound - (094) 9381273
Before you pick up your dog, you will have to pay reclaim charges and produce a current dog licence.. If you do not have a current dog licence, you must obtain one from your local post office or at this link before collecting your dog