Skip to main content

Dog Warden

Barking Dogs & Dog Fouling

It can be very difficult to handle the constant noise of excessive dog barking. 
Not only is it a nuisance, it is also an offence.  

Should you find yourself in this situation, we would recommend that you: 

  • In a good neighbourly manner, let the dog’s owner know how the barking affects you and ask that the owner try and manage the situation. 
  • If that approach fails, you have the option of filing a complaint to the District Court. Before filing out the Barking Dog Form (under Sections 25 of the Control of Dogs Act, 1986), you must firstly inform the dog owner of your intention. 

Once the complaint has been filed, it may end up going to court.  

In this situation, your District Court can make an order requiring the reduction of excessive barking by the dog.  

And it can limit the number of dogs that can be kept on a premise or it can direct that a dog be delivered to a dog warden as an unwanted dog. 

Dog Fouling 

When your dog has done its business, do yours’ 

Not only is it very unsightly, it is an offence to allow a dog under your control to foul a public place.  

Many people don’t realise they can be proactive in tackling dog fouling. 

To report an incident of dog fouling, members of the public can contact their local Litter Warden.  

To make a complaint the following information is required: 

  • A name, address and a contact number for the person making the complaint.  
  • The name and address of the dog owner in question  
  • Along with the date and time of the offence, and the location of the offence.  

A relevant photo is also helpful.  

Back to top