Skip to main content

Dog Warden


  • Dog Fines Payment

    Mayo County Council can fine dog owners or breeders who commit offences relating to proper dog control, licencing and microchipping. Fine payments can be made to your local council.

  • How do I get a Dog Licence?
    • Individual and Lifetime Dog Licences may be purchased HERE 
    • In person from your local Post Office 
    • General Licences can be purchased in the Vets Department of Mayo County Council, Aras an Chontae, Castlebar 
  • Are there any rules with regards to having a dog licence?

    Yes, you must be over 16 years of age. It’s important to remember to get a licence promptly, as it is an offence to keep a dog over four months old unless you have a licence.  

    Your dog must be accompanied by you and be under your effective control or the control of another responsible person if it is outside your home or premises. 

    Always remember when out-and-about with your dog that you could be requested by a Dog Warden to produce evidence of your dog licence and failure to do so can result in an on-the-spot fine. 

  • How do I reclaim my dog from the pound?

    To reclaim your dog from the pound, you will have to pay a re-claim fees and produce a current dog licence. If you do not have a current dog licence, you must obtain one here or from your local post office before collecting your dog

  • If I want to sell or supply more than 6 pets what do I do?

    From February 1, 2020, new legislation on the sale and supply of pet animals, and a voluntary Code of Practice for Sellers and Suppliers of Pets was introduced.

    Anyone selling or supplying 6 or more pet animals in a year must register with the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine (DAFM). All advertisements of pet animals must include certain minimum information about the pet and the seller or supplier, including in respect of dogs, its microchip number.  

Back to top