Social Media Policy
Mayo County Council use interactive online social media to share information, gather feedback and create a dialogue with our community.
Our Mayo County Council, Mayo.ie and Mayo Road Safety social media platforms are managed by the Mayo County Council Communications Department and our platforms include but are not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube.
By following these accounts, you can expect information in relation to the following:
- Press releases and information regarding Council activities.
- Council services announcements (road information, traffic disruption, council events, promotional campaigns, recruitment etc).
- Emergency communications.
- Practical information on services available through the Council.
- Alerts regarding new content our services available through our website.
- Promotion of County Mayo
The above list is not exhaustive.
We welcome all engagement received through our social media platforms by means of comments/shares but retain the right to remove comments or contents that include:
- Obscene or racist content
- Personal attacks, insults, or threatening language
- Potentially libellous statements
- Plagiarised material; any material in violation of any laws, including copyright
- Private, personal information published without consent
- Information or links unrelated to the content of the forum
- Commercial promotions, spam or trolling
The above list is not exhaustive
We retain the right to block/ban users from our social media platforms, where possible, should we believe the user to have repeatedly engaged on our platforms in any of the manners listed above.
- Our social media platforms are monitored on a regular basis during normal hours of operation.
- Our social media platforms may be used outside of hours in exceptional circumstances (such as severe weather events) but this cannot be guaranteed.
- While we will endeavour to respond to or forward private queries received through Twitter DM’s, Facebook Messenger Instagram etc., please be advised that we are not obliged to respond to all messages received. Messages received through these mediums will not be considered as contacting Mayo County Council for official purposes. Official queries can be sent by email to email@example.com or by calling us on 094 906 4000.
- We may share/retweet information from external organisations that we believe may be of interest to the general public but please do not be offended if we do not share/retweet something that you might ask of us.
- Mayo County Council is not responsible for the accuracy of content posted by any subscriber in any forum; opinions expressed in comments on our social media forums do not necessarily represent those of Mayo County Council.
- All comments, once posted, become the property of Mayo County Council and we reserve the right to reproduce, distribute, publish, display or edit same. Derivative work also can be created from such postings or content, and used for any purpose, in any form and on any media.
- Mayo County Council is not responsible, liable for and does not endorse the privacy practices of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube or any linked websites. Your use of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin, Youtube and any linked websites is at your own risk.
- Social media platforms may occasionally be unavailable, and we accept no responsibility for this lack of service.
- By viewing a digital image from our collections, you are agreeing to comply with copyright licencing regulations. These state that your use of the image is for personal use only, and that you will not copy, publish or distribute the image in any way.
- Mayo County Council assume no responsibility or liability for any injury, loss or damage incurred as a result of any use or reliance upon the information and material contained within or downloaded from these websites.
- We will not engage in/with, and we discourage posts or comments on, issues of a political nature.
- Comments should not advertise commercial products or services.
- By choosing to comment and/or utilise any Mayo County Council Social Media site, users are deemed to agree to this policy.
This policy will be reviewed and may be revised periodically.