Mayo Historical Documents & Artifacts
Please see & note three of the most celebrated antiquarian histories of Mayo may now be viewed in full text
D'Alton, Right Rev Monsignor: History of the Archdiocese of Tuam. Volume 1. Dublin: Phoenix Publishing Co. Ltd., 1928
D'Alton, Right Rev Monsignor: History of the Archdiocese of Tuam. Volume 2. Dublin: Phoenix Publishing Co. Ltd., 1928
Knox: Hubert Thomas. The History of the County of Mayo. Dublin: Hodges Fidges & Co, 1908
The following records are available in Castlebar library Local Studies section and can be accessed on request.
- The Strafford Inquisition of County Mayo - edited by William O'Sullivan, Irish Manuscripts Commission 1958. (An inquiry into the ownership of land in Co. Mayo in 1635 listing each landowner and the townland and barony in which they resided.
- Book of Survey and Distribution - being abstracts of various surveys and instruments of title, 1636-1703 vol. 2 Co. Mayo. Contains maps of the County from Petty's Atlas, 1683 and of Tyrawley Barony from the Down Survey, 1657. Prepared for publication with introductory notes by R.C. Simington. Irish Manuscripts Commission 1956
- The Transplantation to Connacht 1654-1658 by R.C. Simington, Irish Manuscripts Commission 1970 (names the person transplanted, from where they were moved and their place of settlement in Connaught)
- Ordnance Survey Field Name Books - compiled during the 1st Ordnance Survey of County Mayo in 1838, these books give a list of townlands in each parish, their names in Irish and their meaning. They also give a brief description of the physical features of each townland and the proprietor of the land is usually given.
Please note that the full text of James McParland's Statistical Survey of the County of Mayo from 1802 can be viewed via the link below.
McParlan, James. Statistical survey of the county of Mayo. Dublin: Graisberry & Campbell, 1802
Estate Rental Records
- James D.H. Browne: Claremorris & environs 1860.
- Lord Oranmore: Castlemagarrett, Ballindine & environs 1834.
- Earl of Lucan: Aglish, Kilmaclasser, Kilmeena, Aghagower, Oughaval, Kilgeever, Turlough & Breaffy. 1834-1839 & 1848-1873 (Microfilm, no maps included)
- National Building & Land Investment Co: Portroyal Estate 1891.
- Gray Estate: Castlebar, Balla, & Claremorris 1863.
- Ruttledge Estate Several districts throughout County Mayo 1861.
- Treston: Barnagreggaun, Knockaunakill & Harefield 1865.
- Rowan: Toomore 1890.
- Richard Cuffe Prendergast: Drumneen 1884.
- Fitzgerald: Turlough, Keelogues and environs 1904, 1906, 1908-1913.
(original manuscript ledgers, no maps included).
- Earl of Arran: Addergoole, Ardagh, Ballysakeery, Crossmolina, Kilfian, Doonfeeney, Kilmoremoy, Moygawnagh, and Kilbelfad 1838 (no maps)
Online resources inlcude a survey of the estates of Garret Moore and the Scrapbooks and Index to Scrapbooks of Dr. M.F. Waldron (below).