Swinford, a former market town, is situated on a tributary of the famous River Moy. This lively town is located a short distance from Ireland West Airport Knock. The town is renowned for its fishing waters, in particular the Callow Lakes which yield excellent brown trout. Swinford is home to one of Mayo’s largest and long-running annual summer festivals – Siamsa Sráide Swinford – featuring live music, dancing and open-air concerts over several days.
Top 10 Things to Do in Swinford
- Swinford attracts anglers from all over the world to fish the famous waters of the River Moy which boasts some of the best salmon & trout fishing in Europe.
- Brabazon Woods is located two minutes’ walk from Swinford town. With a children’s playground, and a glorious nature walk along gentle streams, it is ideal for families.
- Hennigan’s Heritage Centre, situated in unspoilt countryside overlooking Creagaballa Lake, tells the fascinating stories of local people over the past 200 years.
- Swinford Golf Club is a beautiful nine-hole, mature woodland course in Brabazon Park, only 5 minutes’ walk from the town. It is deceptively tricky, with many blind shots & sloping greens – accuracy is the key to scoring well!
- Visit the Famine & Paupers Graveyard in Swinford, where you can pay your respects to those who died in the workhouse between 1845 and 1852. Over 550 souls were buried here ‘without coffi n, without sermon, without anything which denotes respect for the dead’.
- Walk around the Callow Loop trail, which overlooks the north and south lakes of Lough Callow. The terrain comprises of both country lakes and bog tracks, and is also suitable for mountain biking.
- Swinford Library & Cultural Centre .The old railway station in Swinford is now home to the town’s Library and Cultural Centre, where you can enjoy a number of cultural and musical events throughout the year.
- Have a chat with the locals and find out more about Swinford, whether you are in a café, a pub, or a shop … you will be amazed at the tales you’ll hear!
- Live music can be enjoyed in Swinford all year round – the town’s Siamsa Sráide summer street festival is a great time to enjoy open-air céilí, dancing, poetry recitals and busking!
- Enjoy an afternoon in nearby Castlebar at the Museum of Country Life. This award winning museum is all about discovering the story of Irish country life between 1850 and 1950.