The beautiful, seaside village of Mulranny has been named Ireland’s Best Destination for Responsible Tourism and Ireland’s Best Small Tourism Town. The village is, unsurprisingly, a European Destination of Excellence, with friendly locals, its incredible environment and a plethora of hidden treasures.
Top 10 Things to Do in Mulranny
- With its spectacular views over Clew Bay, Mulranny is a popular stop along the Great Western Greenway (an award-winning 42km route). Pedal and electric bicycles are available to rent, and will transport you through beautiful countryside.
- The Atlantic Drive starts in Mulranny and takes you on an awe-inspiring journey throughout Achill Island the Currane Peninsula. Just try and count all 365 of Clew Bay’s islands on your way!
- Put on your hiking boots for the 6km Look Out Hill loop, which includes three different European designated areas of conservation and Ireland’s largest National Park. If you’re lucky, you may also catch a glimpse of the Old Irish Goats - a rare breed that lives in the hills close to the village.
- Forage for seaweed and discover the fascinating ecosystems that exist along the Mulranny shoreline. You’ll be amazed how many different varieties of seaweed are along the shoreline and how they can be utilized!
- Play golf at Mulranny Golf Links, a wonderful nine-hole links course set on the shores of Clew Bay, including sublime views of Croagh Patrick and Clare Island.
- Go fishing - cast out your line and enjoy a great day’s fishing in the bountiful waters of Clew Bay. Charter a boat with some of the finest skippers in the area, who will help you to find one of the area’s 15 species of fish!
- Treat yourself to a leisurely swim or sauna, a massage and an outdoor hot tub, followed up with a delicious meal.
- Learn to Sail on Bellacragher Bay, or try a catamaran trip out into Béal a’ Creachaire (Bay of the Plunderer). It’s a sheltered bay and is therefore accessible to beginners and experts alike.
- Take a stroll along the Mulranny Victorian Causeway, to the salt marsh, beach and pier. See how many different seabirds you can spot!
- Visit Gift of Hands - a voluntary group of women making beautiful things out of recycled materials to raise money for community projects. You’ll be blown away with the variety and quality their crafts!