Killala is a picturesque seaside village in north Mayo and it is famous for the role it played in the 1798 rebellion, when General Humbert arrived from France to unite with the Irish, and fought against the English forces in the area. The town and surrounding area is a treasure trove of historical monuments and buildings. Each one tells the stories of Ireland’s fascinating past.
Top 10 Things to Do in Killala
- Soak up Killala’s history & heritage. Ramble around the town and see the Round Tower, St. Patrick’s Cathedral, graveyard & souterrain. Explore the Neolithic landscape from Carrowmore Lacken to Céide, and try to imagine living here 6,000 years ago as the first cultivators did!
- Killala is a fi shing paradise, rich with maritime history. Try deep-sea angling or beach angling, or fi sh for trout & salmon on the Palmerstown River!
- On your bike! Explore the Wild Atlantic Way with the sun on your face and the wind at your back – explore the Monasteries of the Moy (Rathfran, Moyne and Rosserk) while cycling from Killala to Ballina.
- There is no end to your choice of watersports in Killala … try kayaking, kitesurfing, scuba diving, surfing or snorkelling, or simply bring a bucket & spade to the golden sands of Ross Strand or Lacken Strand!
- Forage for your lunch along the coast or spend a few hours on a family foraging trip to Bartra Island!
- Discover deserted coastal coves & explore vast sand dunes on various trails around Killala, such as the Kilcummin Loop Walk, the Tír Sáile North Mayo Sculpture Trail, or the Ross Loop.
- Learn about ‘The Year of the French’ and fi nd out about Yeats’ 1916 Connections - just ask a local!
- The kids are alright! Let them run, climb, swing and have a great time at Killala Town Park’s new playground, tennis and basketball courts! Take part in an aquathon from the small pier or enjoy a family tournament on the astroturf!
- Enjoy an evening of folk music, song & story at the Killala Bay Folk Club or listen to local trad, bluegrass and rock at the weekend in the friendly, welcoming local pubs.
- Killala is the perfect place to unwind - breathe in cool, clean, sea air and free your mind. Keep an eye out for relaxation therapy clinics and local health & wellness workshops.