Active Travel does not just have great benefit to our planet, it also has great benefit to our people.
What is Active Travel
Active Travel is travelling with a purpose using your own energy.
Generally, this means walking, scooting (non-motorised) or cycling as part of a purposeful journey. It is often the case that active travel can be seamlessly built into everyday life as part of normal daily routines. Walking as part of a commute to work, cycling to the shop or scooting to school are all considered active travel.
Walking, scooting or cycling for purely leisure purposes is not considered Active Travel.
Active Travel Benefits
Active Travel will play an important role in addressing the traffic and environmental challenges we face but will also offer people healthier lifestyles and can bring real benefits to our local economies.
- Physical & Mental Health improvements – Active Travel has clear benefits for us in terms of our physical health but will also greatly improve our mental health.
- Reduce Carbon Emissions – By reducing our car journeys, we can reduce pollution and make our public realms cleaner and healthier places to use.
- Save Money – You can make savings by using your bike or walking. The Bike to work scheme also provides tax relief for people who cycle to work.
- Safer Routes to Schools – Congestion at the school gates is often a major issue, Active Travel can help to create safer access options.
- Reduce Traffic Congestion – Increased Active Travel will result in reduced traffic volumes - leading to less traffic congestion.