Mayo County Councils Actions
Active Travel plays a key role in promoting the wellbeing and quality of life for the citizens and communities in Mayo. Active Travel will enhance the attractiveness of the County as a place in which to live, work, visit, invest in and enjoy.
Mayo County Council is working to improve cycling and pedestrian infrastructure under the NTA Investment Programme - Sustainable Transport Measures Grant and the Safe Routes to School Programme.
Providing such infrastructure will thus provide its’ Citizens with well connected, well designed and safe, pedestrian/cycle networks. This in turn, will offer a credible alternative to car use.
Current Active Travel Projects:
- Footpath Packages – New/Improved
- Active Travel Crossings – New/Improved
- Filtered Permeability Schemes – New/Improved access links
- Cycle Schemes – New/Improved
- Development of Active Travel Transport and Mobility Plans
Active Travel Transport and Mobility Plans
Active Travel Transport and Mobility Plans are currently being developed for our towns in Mayo. The Active Travel Plans will identify needs and projects, specific to the towns, which will be implemented over the coming years.
Active Travel Plan Strategies include:
- The provision of safer routes for vulnerable network users
- New active Travel links to residential, work, educational and enterprise centres
- Improved walking and cycling access/facilities at Bus Stops/Train Stations to facilitate “Park and Ride”
- Improved active travel links from existing carparks to facilitate “Park and Stride”
- Provision of new road links – improving active travel space
- Reduction in traffic speeds and improved road safety through design
Active Travel Plan Deliverables include:
- Make recommendations on existing and future connectivity that shall cater for persons with a disability, pedestrians and cyclists and improve the quality of life for everybody in the communities by prioritising:
- walking and cycling for travel to work,
- education, shopping and day to day business
- providing high quality public environments and amenities
- Active Travel assessments and proposals to be carried out for listed towns
- Establish an assessment template for smaller towns and village, noting general recommendations for same