A weekly run in your local community – come join us!
Parkrun is a weekly 5k timed run, they take place every Saturday 930am and it’s free, register online before your first run. They are open to everyone, and are safe and easy to take part in. Park runs are held in six locations in Mayo:
Ballina email@example.com F26V840
Castlebar firstname.lastname@example.org Tennis Club
Claremorris email@example.com Clare Lake McMahon park
Westport firstname.lastname@example.org Greenway Path
Erris email@example.com Cross Loop
Parkrun is entirely managed by volunteers, if you want to help out contact your parkrun volunteers page, to view the route go on to your local parkrun events page,
Reasons to do parkrun
- It’s free
- Timing is included, your barcode is important, as its what enters you into the event, at the end of the event the barcode is scanned and you will receive an official time by sms and email.
- You can do different courses, once you are registered your barcode is valid to participate in any event, no other prior registration is required, just turn up with your barcode & run.
- You don’t have to be good at running, you have walkers, joggers, bonafide athletes, people with disabilities, people pushing prams etc, it’s a very inclusive activity
- It will improve your health, regular moderate intensive exercise is good for your heart, will burn calories to help you lose weight and improve your state of mind. Running produces chemical endorphins in the brain that reduce pain and make you feel good.
- Park Runs are a great way to make new friends, bringing together people from all walks of life into a family atmosphere, there will be a lot of people out there who are sceptical about taking up running because they are worried about not being good enough, not fitting in, not knowing anyone, but parkrun atmosphere is full of encouragement from front to back, once you go a few times the faces become familiar and is very sociable!
- Serious runner? The Park Run is suitable for you as nearer the front of the field the competitive edge exists and those who want to improve their performances can run for a Personal Best each week!
- The events survive with the help of volunteers and marshals performing a range of roles each week. Volunteering can be very rewarding and allows you to put something back into a brilliant activity that you can take advantage of for free.
For more information go to https://www.parkrun.ie/