To apply for a refund of motor tax, you need to download and complete form RF120 - PDF HERE
Your completed application form should include the current tax disc, Vehicle Licensing/Registration Certificate or Registration Book, together with all other required documentation as outlined in the RF120 form.
You can claim a refund of motor tax if:
- The vehicle has been scrapped, destroyed or sent permanently out of the State
- The vehicle has been stolen and has not been recovered by the owner
- The vehicle has not been taken out or used in a public place at any time since the issue of the current disc
- The owner of the vehicle has stopped using the vehicle because of illness, injury or other physical disability
- The owner of the vehicle has stopped using the vehicle because they are absent from the country for business or educational purposes
- The owner of the vehicle has stopped using the vehicle because of service overseas with the Defence Forces
Tax discs must be surrendered immediately as refunds are generally calculated from the first of the month following the surrender of the disc. A minimum of three unexpired whole calendar months must be left on the disc when surrendered.
Your completed application form should be returned toMotor Tax Office, Glenpark, The Mall, Castlebar Co. Mayo