Internet Use Policy
Mayo County Library Public Computer and Wi-Fi Acceptable Usage Policy
Mayo Library Service aim to inform, enrich, empower and extend individual life-chances through the provision of information, ideas, resources and programmes which bring to local communities the benefits of global thought, life-long learning experience and diversity of heritage and culture.
The availability of Free Public Internet Access complements and extends traditional library service provision.
The following conditions apply:
1 - Users must be aware that the World Wide Web is an unregulated information network, enabling access to ideas, information and images. Users are required to be responsible in their use of the World Wide Web.
2 - Free Internet-based computer reference facilities are available to all registered members of Mayo Library Service and guest users will also be facilitated.
3 - Mayo Library Service cannot guarantee the accuracy of information on the World Wide Web, nor can they accept responsibility for, or supervise content which may be accessed inadvertently or otherwise by a user. The library accepts no responsibility for damage, loss, costs or expenses arising either directly or indirectly from use of the library's free Internet based computer reference services.
4 - Mayo Library Service cannot accept responsibility for any communication received or sent by personal e-mail account holders.
5 - Parents and guardians are obliged to take responsibility for their children's use of the web. Children under the age of 12 are welcome to use the Internet-based computer facilities provided they are accompanied by a parent or guardian or teacher, or they are supervised or directed by a teacher or other responsible adult over the age of 18.
6 - Secondary school children under the age of 16 are welcome to use the Internet-based computer facilities:
- provided they are accompanied by a parent or guardian or they are supervised or directed by a teacher or other responsible adult over the age of 18.
- Or provided a parent or guardian authorises such use in writing by signing an Internet Registration form in the presence of library staff.
7 - Users may not create, access, copy, store, transmit, download or publish any material which
- Is obscene, racist, defamatory or illegal
- Causes harassment or gross offence to others
- Constitutes a breach of copyright laws or licensing agreements. To do so will result in all library privileges being revoked immediately
8 - Users may not:
- Use the library's workstations as a staging ground to gain unauthorised access to the library's networks or computer systems or to any other network or computer system
- Obstruct the work of others by consuming large amounts of system resources or by deliberately crashing any library computer system
- Make any attempt to damage computer equipment or software
- Make any attempt to alter software configurations in a malicious manner
- Make any attempt to cause degradation of system performance
- Use any library workstation for illegal or criminal purpose. To do so will result in all library privileges being revoked immediately.
9 - In the interest of equality and fairness and in order to ensure the effective use of library resources, users must abide by booking procedures and operational arrangements in force at branch libraries.
10 - All users are required to indicate their compliance with the library's Acceptable Use Policy before access will be facilitated.