The marine tourism and leisure sector has considerable scope for development in Mayo and there is growing participation in water based sports and activities. Many of Mayo’s small piers, harbours and slipways provide the infrastructure for the pursuit of marine leisure activities. There are pontoons at Newport, Inishlyre, Islandmoor (Clew Bay), Kildavnet (Achill), Ballycroy/Innishbiggle.
Further dedicated pontoons and parking facilities have recently been installed in Rosmoney, Ballina and Westport with foreshore applications for further pontoons at various locations.
The marine leisure sector includes:
- Casual users who simply enjoy the experience of being on water. They will generally have small boats for individual or family use.
- Casual sport users who may have jet skis and speedboats and may also water ski.
- Non-commercial fishing groups who are likely to use medium sized rowboats or outboard motorboats.
- Sports divers who normally use large inflatables or RIBs
- Sailors who may have small single-handed boats or sailing dinghies up to 5m length
- Visiting yachtsmen
- Resident yachtsmen with long-term berthing needs
- Sea angling.
The locations of Westport, Blacksod and Ballina were identified as suitable locations for marinas in Mayo.