Skip to main content

Community & Integrated Development

CLÁR 2024

CLÁR (Ceantair Laga Árd Riachtanais) or Funding for Small-Scale Rural Projects is a targeted investment programme which provides funding for small-scale infrastructural projects in rural areas that have suffered the greatest levels of population decline.

The Measures being funded under the 2024 CLÁR Programme are:

  • Measure 1 : Developing Community Facilities & Amenities

  • Measure 2 : Mobility, Cancer Care, Community First Responder and Meals on Wheels Transport

  • Measure 3 : ‘Our Islands'

Measure 1 applications have now closed.

Applications for Measure 2 and Measure 3 should be made directly to the Department of Rural and Community Development using the following application forms: Measure 2 Application Form and Measure 3 Application Form. Application forms should be emailed to by 5th June 2024 for Measure 2 applications and by 19th June 2024 for Measure 3 applications. Further information is available here.

Rate of Aid:

A minimum grant of €5,000 and maximum grant of €50,000 will apply to Measure 1. The scheme will provide up to 90% of the cost. The remaining 10% or balance of the cost must be provided through local authority/community/other resources. Philanthropic contributions will be accepted as full or part of match funding costs. This funding must be in place at the time of application. Please note that match funding cannot come from other DRCD Schemes.

Eligible Projects:

Measure 1 will support a variety of capital projects provided that they contribute to the enhancement of existing, and/or the development of new, accessible Community Recreation Facilities. All community amenities funded under this programme must, in so far as practicable, be accessible to all abilities and ages. The list below provides an indication of the types of projects that may be supported, but is not exhaustive:

  • Small scale renovation works to community facilities open to the wider community such as community centres/sports centres/clubhouses of sporting groups/youth centres/mens sheds etc 
  • Multi-Use Gaming Areas (MUGAs)/Astro-Turf facilities including upgrades
  • Playgrounds/Skateboard parks/Pump tracks/Cycling tracks
  • Walking/Running/Athletics tracks
  • Handball Alleys/Tennis Courts/Basketball Courts/Cricket Grounds
  • Community Gyms/Community Cinemas
  • Sensory Gardens/Community Gardens/Allotments
  • Access to unique local heritage sites/areas of natural beauty
  • Outdoor Bowling Areas/Outdoor Toilet Facilities/Car Parking
  • Improving access at sports grounds e.g. development/upgrade of spectator stands at local sports grounds with a particular focus on improving access for people of all abilities and ages
  • Solar Bins
  • Biodiversity planting

The Measure 1 Scheme Outline is available here and applicants should familiarise themselves with this and with the Terms & Conditions on the application form before completing an application.

Applicants will be required to enter Irish Transverse Mercator (ITM) co-ordinates for the proposed project. A simple guide to how to find a location's XY ITM co-ordinates is available here.

A map showing areas (EDs) of Co. Mayo that are eligible under the CLÁR scheme is available here and a list of eligible Electoral Divisions including ID numbers is available here. (You will be required to enter your Electoral Division ID number when completing the application form.)

Please contact the Community & Integrated Development section at with any queries or call 094 9064660.

Irish Language versions of Scheme Outlines and Application forms are available below:

Achoimre ar Scéim CLÁR 2024: Beart 2

Maoiniú CLÁR 2024: Foirm Iarratais do Bheart 2

Achoimre ar Scéim CLÁR 2024: Beart 3

Maoiniú CLÁR 2024: Foirm Iarratais do Bheart 3


Back to top