Mayo County Council Launch Castlebar Park and Stride Scheme at Castlebar Primary School
Members of Mayo County Council attended the launch of Castlebar Park and Stride Team at Castlebar Primary School on Wednesday 21st September.
This Scheme means leaving the car about 10 minutes’ walk from the school gate, and making the last leg of the journey to school on foot. For parents or grandparents doing the walk to and from the car, that’s 15–20 minutes towards the recommended 30 minutes of physical exercise we should all be doing every day. Mayo County Council is working in partnership with An Taisce Green-Schools and schools in Castlebar to seek your support for this scheme.
On the initiative, Michael Kilcoyne, Cathaoirleach, Castlebar Municipal District Mayo County Council stated:
“This is a fantastic opportunity for parents and students that want to choose a more active means of travelling to school. Castlebar Municipal District and all schools in Castlebar have been working on the Green-Schools programme for many years and Mayo County Council is working in partnership with schools in Castlebar to seek your support for this scheme this year. Regular physical activity is important from an early age and children who are active on the commute have higher levels of concentration in the classroom. I hope that parents and students in Castlebar will take advantage of the scheme to travel the last leg of their journey to school.”
What does this mean for those that will use the scheme?
Allocated car parks
All participating carparks can be used as Drop ‘n’ Hop locations for older children to make their way to school independently e.g. Guardians can drop off/pick up their children at participating car park.
- Castle Street Car Park
- Market Square Car Park
- Pavillion Road Car Park
- Town Park Car Park
- Spencer Street Car Park
- Castlebar Primary School Junior Campus
- Castlebar Educate Together
- Castlebar Primary School Senior Campus
- Gaelscoil Raifteirí
- St Joseph’s Secondary School
- Davitt College
- St Gerald’s DLS College
- St Brid’s National School
- St Anthony’s School
How do I take part?
All schools in Castlebar are welcome to participate in Park and Stride. Parents/Guardians should complete this (please put link to Park and Stride Brochure here)
Email: Scan the form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org or send by post to Castlebar Area Office, Áras an Chontae, The Mall, Castlebar, Co. Mayo, F23 WF90
Parents/Guardian will be issued with an annual Park and Stride Permit Sticker. The Permit Sticker should be displayed in the front windshield of your car when using participating car parks. Permit Stickers are not transferrable to other drivers. Please apply for more than one permit if more than one Guardian is participating in Park and Stride.
Designated Parking Times At Participating Car Parks:
- Morning: 8am to 9.30am (1 Hour Max)
- Afternoon: 1pm to 4.30pm (1 Hour Max)
- Park and Stride only applies Monday to Friday, during term time
Park and Stride Terms & Conditions
- The Park and Stride sticker must be displayed clearly, inside the front windshield of your car.
- Permit Stickers are not transferrable to another car. You must apply for an additional Permit Sticker if an additional Guardian is participating in Park and Stride.
- Parking spaces are available on a ‘first come, first served’ basis.
- Parking before or after the designated times must be paid for where charges normally apply.
- Cars parked before and after the designated Park and Stride times, which do not display a paid ticket (where charges normally apply) will be subject to charges, or a fine by Wardens in County Council car parks.
- Please park in a safe manner, allowing sufficient space for children to enter and leave vehicles safely.
- Permit Stickers are for the use of Parents/Guardians participating in the Park and Stride scheme only and are not transferrable for any other use.
- New Permit Stickers will be issued at the start of every school year — the current permit must be displayed on the Permit Sticker in use.
Who can I Contact for Further Information?
For further information, please contact Park and Stride, Castlebar Area Office, Áras an Chontae, The Mall, Castlebar, Co. Mayo, F23 WF90.
Tel 094 9064000