West Mayo – Top Things To Do – Westport
Posted in Connect on August 14, 2019.
A designated Heritage Town set in the shadow of the Reek (Croagh Patrick), Westport is a picturesque town with tree-lined boulevards and stone bridges over the Carrowbeg River. With its multi-coloured shopfronts, charismatic cafés and unique restaurants, it is little wonder that this Clew Bay town has become one of Ireland’s most popular destinations.
1. Escape the bustle of urban life by cycling (or walking) the award-winning Great Western Greenway, one of Ireland’s longest off-road cycling and walking trails!
2. Sea to Summit: Whether you are on the top of Croagh Patrick or at the bottom of Bertra Strand, the views are incredible. The Westport area is spoilt with beautiful beaches, and there are many viewing points on the way up to the summit of Croagh Patrick (for those less able to complete the climb).
3. The Pirate Adventure Park (at Westport House) is an ideal place for a family day out, with swinging ships, log flume rides, slides, swan pedalo boats, a miniature railway, go-karting and lots more!
4. Explore the Blueway – a network of water trails where you can experience a variety of water based activities, in a safe controlled environment. At Old Head beach, there’s a snorkelling trail, a kayaking trail, and you can also try coasteering and stand-up paddle (SUP) boarding!
5. Pamper yourself… Westport has an impressive selection of luxurious leisure centres & award-winning spas … perfect for a day of indulgence.
6. There are several Arts venues in Westport, including the Custom House Studios and many private galleries dotted around the town. The Westport Arts Festival has been running for over 40 years and is a beacon for both aspiring and internationally famous artists, performers, writers and musicians.
7. Play a round of golf. Westport Golf Club is one of Ireland’s finest parkland courses, set in the scenic splendor of undulating parklands on the shores of Clew Bay, with breathtaking views of Croagh Patrick.
8. Take the Westport Train Tour – all-weather sight-seeing tour telling the fascinating story of the town. It is 45 mins long and you’ll see at least 46 sights along the way! (March to October)
9. Have a Blast! Westport is a great place for some unique adventures, such as zorbing, archery, paintball, laser combat, bubble soccer, zip-wiring and splatball!
10. As a designated Heritage Town, there are plenty of historical sites to explore in Westport, such as Westport House & Gardens, St. Mary’s Church and Aughaval Cemetery. The town itself is full of historical architecture and you can discover more in the Clew Bay Heritage Centre.Tags: Mayo, Top 10 things, Visit, Westport