Mayo County Council Arts Service’s Bealtaine Programme 2019
Posted in Connect on April 25, 2019.
Celebrating the arts and creativity as we age.
Mayo County Council Arts Service is delighted to launch its Bealtaine Programme 2019 and to mark the opening of the Exhibition ‘In the Making’, Foyer, Linenhall Art Centre on Monday 29th April at 2.30pm. Mayo County Council Arts Service’s programme will be launched by Cllr. Blackie Gavin, Cathaoirleach of Mayo County Council. Taking place in the month of May, Bealtaine is Ireland’s national festival which uniquely celebrates the arts and creativity as we age. The festival is run by Age & Opportunity, the national organisation that promotes active and engaged living as we get older. Mayo Arts Service has organised a programme of arts events and projects in partnership with community groups and arts venues across Mayo. This year’s brochure includes exhibitions, performances, workshops and tours. Thank you to all the artists, arts venues, community groups and individuals taking part in this year’s Bealtaine Festival in Mayo. A full listing of Bealtaine events in County Mayo can be found on www.bealtaine.ie.
The exhibition ‘In the Making’ celebrates artwork created by older people in health-care settings in Mayo. Since 2004, artists Bernie Garvey O’Mara, Irma van Baalen, Maggie Morrison and Tom Meskell have been facilitating art workshops, Bernie in St. Augustine’s CNU in Ballina, Irma in McBride CNU in Westport, Maggie in St. Colman’s CNU in Achill and Tom in Sacred Heart Hospital in Castlebar. These art sessions with older people have their roots in Mayo County Council Artists’s Mentoring and Networking Programme that ran from 2004 – 2011, in partnership with HSE West. This exhibition will be launched by artist Deirdre Walsh. All welcome to the programme launch & exhibition opening on Monday 29th April at 2.30pm, Linenhall Art Centre. Light refreshments will be served. Exhibition runs until 5th June.
Highlights from Mayo Arts Service Bealtaine Programme include:
- Launch of Bealtaine Programme and exhibition ‘In the Making’ opening: 29th April at 2.30pm.
- In Partnership Series: free arts workshop in Arts Venues including Acrylic Painting in Ballina Art Centre, Print-making in Custom House Studios, Westport; Fabric Printing in Ballinglen Art Foundation and Dancing in Áras Inis Gluaire, Belmullet.
- Dementia Friendly Venue visits in collaboration with Community Action on Dementia West, The Linenhall Art Centre, Ballina Art Centre and artist Tom Meskell.
- Karen Meenan, Making Hay Theatre will facilitate Reminiscence Theatre Workshop for older people in care settings including St. Colman’s, Achill; McBride’s, Westport and St. Augustine’s Ballina.
- Artist Mentoring Project: Mayo Arts Service is delighted to bring together renowned visual artist Alice Maher and emerging artist Áine O’Hara. Alice will mentor Áine over a number of sessions and they will explore one another’s practice.
- Choral Masterclass: Choral specialist Mark Duley will facilitate a workshop with Rocks n Roses Choir.
View the Bealtaine Brochure here:
Tags: 2019, Bealtaine Festival, Mayo, Mayo Arts