Expressions of Interest - Sandybanks Caravan & Camping Park, Keel, Achill
Mayo County Council is seeking expressions of interest from suitable organisations that may be interested in entering a lease for the property at Keel, Achill, Co. Mayo – Sandybanks Caravan & Camping Park.
Important information to note:
- Completion of the expression of interest does not imply eligibility or convey approval in any form that will lead to a leasing arrangement with Mayo County Council.
- Mayo County Council is interested in seeking proposals from organisations with both the operational and financial capacity to manage the day to day running, maintenance and upkeep of a facility of this nature.
- Any lease agreements entered into as a result of information provided through the Expression of Interest process will outline the standard conditions between the lessor and lessee, which will include the lessee covering all maintenance, repairs and upkeep costs of the facility to a standard commensurate with providing a high quality, strategically important tourist facility to the region.
- Where requested, a familiarisation visit to the property can be facilitated.
- The data submitted by you as part of the submission, will be retained for as long as the relevant statutory provisions remain in force and may be used for the following purposes;
- The establishment of a register of interested organisations/individuals in leasing the Sandybanks Caravan & Camping Park.
- To make further contact with applicants to confirm continuing interest and for final confirmation of actual interest.
- To progress the discussion with interested organisations/individuals to a more formal stage where business case proposals will be required.
Map reference: Google
The property is in Achill, Co. Mayo. on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean. The park has been a caravan and camping location for over 30 years. The facility is currently a 4-star Failte Ireland rated park and this will have to be maintained each year for the duration of the lease.
The property is located on a 5ha park. The park facilities consist of two toilet and showers blocks including office, laundry room, games room, kitchen and storage facilities, also external cold water showers. Services include water, wastewater, electricity, bulk natural gas tanks (x2), control park access barrier. The hot water is operated by bulk gas with new combi boilers installed in 2020. There is outdoor lighting throughout the park which was upgraded to LED. The park road network was re-surfaced over a 3-year period with tarmacadam and the pitches stone surfaced. There were 20 pitched areas concreted and services installed in 2021.
Ref 01 - Drone Photo of Keel Sandybanks Caravan & Camping Park (July 2021)
The park boundary shown above (Ref 01) shows the outline of the park. The outline area in red is the proposed outdoor pursuits building which is in the design and planning phase. The outline in green is the current public toilet arrangements which is accessed from outside the park. The park can facilitate up to approx. 110 pitches (caravans / tents / motorhomes). The park required yearly cleaning, power hosing and painting throughout.
All parks mechanical & electrical equipment will need annual servicing and maintenance by the successful lessee. Mayo County Council will remove any of these items not required by the successful lessee.
Ref 02 – Park Office & Toilet / Shower facilities
The lease will include covenants predominantly based on the below areas, along with other standard commercial lease covenants that will be discussed and agreed upon in further detail at the next stage of the process.
- Minimum trading hours
- Open Seasonally – April to October
- Term /lease period
- Consideration (rent)
- Added Value
The property can be viewed by appointment only subject to public health guidance. Genuine interested parties can arrange an appointment by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
Viewings will be limited to maximum of 2 persons (preferably 1) per interested party, will require interested parties in completing a Covid-19 self-declaration form prior to the viewing and wearing of protective masks and use of sanitisation products during the viewing.
Where government health guidance does not permit physical viewing, alternative arrangements will be made to view the property (e.g. online viewing/video).
The following criteria will make up the Evaluation Process of progressing Expressions of Interest applications to lease negotiation stage:
- Relevant Trading experience - This refers to the appropriate level of experience, or current trading in a similar venue, the applicant has. The applicant must demonstrate relevant experience and trading experience s/he has.
- Value Added - The applicant must demonstrate his/her understanding of the area and how the proposed business for the venue will enhance the offering in the area to residents of and visitors to the area. It is up to the applicant to determine and submit detail on this, and as a way of guideline it is anticipated that this would include, but not limited to, outlining how you can contribute to improving the general Visitor Experience at this location and/or the use of locally sourced goods/services/offerin
- Capacity – These references to the ability of the business/individual to have both the financial and operational capacity in place in order to successfully run a venture of this nature including but not limited to the following criteria:
- Customer Care
- HR and Personnel / Staff Management
- Marketing including Social Media Platforms
- Development and Operation of Online Booking Systems
- Out of Hours Operations
- Building Services & Maintenance
Terms & Conditions
- The issuing of the lease is subject to elected member approval. This is a statutory process under Section 183 of the Local Government Act 2001. If approved, the successful applicant will be required to sign the lease shortly thereafter, with first rental payment due on signing of lease.
- The successful lessee shall be tax compliant and have no outstanding debts owing to Mayo County Council.
- Mayo County Council reserves the right to withdraw the property from this process at any time.
- Please contact the Tourism Section at email@example.com for any further details and or to obtain an Expression of Interest application form via email or complete an online Expression of Interest at this link
- The deadline for submission of all Expressions of Interest is Monday the 4th of July at 5:00pm.
- Expressions of Interest submitted by email shall have EXPRESSION OF INTEREST KEEL CARAVAN & CAMPING PARK 2022 as the subject line and be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Park Assets / Fixtures
|Area||Items Included As is|
Public Facilities Roos
All items in rooms listed included as is
(Bins, hair dryer, dispensers, shower panels, gas hobs etc)
|Reception & Backroom||
|Admin Office||No items included. Provided empty|