Skip to main content

Mayo Fire Service

Frequently Asked Questions

Why did I receive this invoice?

An invoice is issued to the person deemed the beneficiary of the service (not necessarily the caller). The owner of the property or vehicle is generally deemed to be the beneficiary of the service. Please note that all parties are charged equally for road based incidents such as road traffic Collisions.

What should I do when I receive this invoice?

We recommend that contact your insurance company at the earliest opportunity and have the invoice included in the insurance claim

How do I pay the Fire Service Charge:

There are a number of different payment options for invoices:

  1. Detach the remittance slip from the bottom of the invoice and post it with your payment to the Chief Fire Officer, Fire Brigade HQ., Humbert Way, Castlebar, Co. Mayo F23 V089.
  2. To pay by Credit/Debit card you should call our office on 094 906 4999 and provide the required card details. Please ensure that you have your invoice number to hand.
  3. To make payment in person you can call to Fire Brigade HQ or any local area office of Mayo County Council.
  4. By Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) – Mayo County Council bank details are:
Name Allied Irish Bank, Main Street, Castlebar, Co. Mayo.
Account No 19579000
Sort Code 937088
IBAN IE98 AIBK 9370 8819 5790 00

Note:     Please quote Fire Service Invoice no. and your Surname when making payment to ensure the correct allocation of your payment

Can I apply for a waiver or reduction of the charge?

If you are an old age pensioner, in receipt of social welfare payment or on a low income you may be entitled to a partial waiver or reduction of the charge. An Application Form for Waiver/Reduction of Fire Service Charges can be obtained by calling 094 9064001, requesting by email from or by downloading the form here.   

What if I don’t have insurance and I can’t afford to pay the invoice?

If your insurance company will only pay part of the charge or if you are of limited income you may apply for a waiver/reduction of the charge by completing and submitting an Application Form for Waiver/Reduction of Fire Service Charges as outlined above.

What if I received an invoice for a road traffic accident?

An invoice is sent to the registered owner of each vehicle involved in a road traffic accident for the total amount of the charge. Once liability is agreed or as determined by a court of law then only that person remains liable for the charge and the other invoices will be written off.

What if I didn’t call the fire brigade?

It is the policy of Mayo County Council to levy charges against the beneficiary of the service (not necessarily the caller) provided by the Fire Service in relation to emergency incidents which they attend. The charges are made pursuant to Section 35 (3) of the Fire services Act 1981 (as amended by the Licencing of Indoor Events Act 2003) together with the provisions of the Local Government (Financial Provisions) (No 2) Act, 1983 and the local Government Financial Provisions Act 2000. The amounts levied will be as adopted by the council from time to time. An invoice is therefore issued to the person who has received the benefit of the service.

Back to top