Protecting Water from Pesticide Use
Pesticides commonly used in gardens and homes include weedkillers, insecticides, fungicides, rodent poisons and slug pellets. It is essential that great care is taken when storing, handling and using any pesticide as even a trace amount going down a drain or entering a watercourse can end up in drinking water.
A single drop of herbicide can breach the drinking water limit in a small stream for 30km.
There are specific obligations on famers and other professional users of pesticides.
Information on the correct use of pesticides is available at: epa.ie/water/dw/protectingdrinkingwatersupplies/
For greener alternatives to pesticides please visit: https://www.mywaste.ie/your-greener-living-guides/