Erris & Belmullet
The barony of Erris has been voted Best Place to Go Wild in Ireland (The Irish Times)! Chosen for its balance of nature, activities, wilderness and beauty, the Gaeltacht region is one of the most westerly places in Europe. Indeed, for centuries, locals have said that the next parish over is New York!
Top 10 Things to Do in Erris & Belmullet
- Spend a day on Inis Gé Theas - this deserted island is now an internationally known home to bird life, and other fauna and flora. To watch the whales or puffins, hire a licensed boat.
- Jump into the Atlantic Ocean or learn to surf in a watersports centre that teaches activities through the Irish language.
- Learn the history, heritage and culture of Erris. Immerse yourself in the world of St Brendan the Navigator, Brian Rua Carabine’s prophecies, the island of Inis Gluaire and the mythical giant Daithí Bán… visit Áras Inis Gluaire, Ionad Deirbhile, and Ballycroy National Park.
- Catch and cook your own dinner! With more than 40 varieties of fish known to inhabit the seas, lakes and rivers of Erris, the region is a fisherman’s fancy. For lunch, a guide can help you forage for seaweed and shellfish.
- Hike the Bangor Trail, an ancient route through the Nephin Beg mountains and Ballycroy National Park. Or choose a scenic loop at Benwee Head - higher than the cliffs of Moher!
- Play golf at Carne Golf Links, which “now has 27 of the most dramatic, natural dune land holes in the world”. Or play a par three 9-hole links course at Ceann Ramhar (Doohoma Head), a Wild Atlantic Way discovery point.
- Cycle around Erris with a packed picnic, taking in the views of all four lighthouses: Blacksod, Ballyglass, Eagle Island and Blackrock.
- At Ionad Deirbhile Heritage Centre, find out about James Hack Tuke’s assisted emigration scheme in 1882, when more than 3,000 people emigrated on steamships from Blacksod Bay to Boston and Quebec.
- Venture back further in history, at the Neolithic Céide Fields.
- Discover picnic areas with clifftop views, an unspoilt secret cove, or a pristine Blue Flag beach. Download the free Erris Beo app to guide you.