Aghamore is a predominantly rural parish with a population in 1944 given as 45. The most substantial section of the survey is the Antiquities section which lists an impressive number of antiquities, some with detailed architectural descriptions. These include Raith and Mannin castles, and a number of souterrains at Carrownedan, Carn Mór, Carn Beg, Laralae, Liscosker and Boleyboy. Historic sites highlighted include St. Patrick’s Well, Carrownedan, also known as Tobar Crónán, and the nearby church site, Kilcronan. Here St. Patrick is reputed to have founded the first church in Mayo in 441.
The documents for Aghamore parish from the Irish Tourist Association Survey (1944) are listed below. Clicking on the document will open the relevant section in the survey.